During CERAWeek 2023 our CEO, Dev Sanyal, participated in a panel discussion moderated by Atul Arya, along with Stanford University's Arun Majumdar, ConocoPhillips's Dominic Macklon and Mark Nelson of Chevron.
He spoke of five elements that are critical to enabling what the world needs - secure, affordable and sustainable energy.
- Repurposing existing infrastructure. At VARO, we have started, and plan to repurpose our conventional energy infrastructure into sustainable production and distribution hubs.
- Building scale in biofuels and biogas. In January, we took a major step, by acquiring Bio Energy Coevorden, and we will double this capacity to create the largest biogas manufacturing facility in Northern Europe.
- Improving energy efficiency. We announced a 125MW green hydrogen project in our Bayernoil manufacturing hub to partially decarbonize our requirement for hydrogen in manufacturing.
- Driving innovation, through technology but also through new business models, such as E-mobility solutions and nature-based carbon solutions.
- Delivering customer value propositions, through horizontal integration of our range of products and services, working in partnership with key customers such as Lufthansa.
Our EVP Customers, Trading and Commercial Optimisation, Jeremy Baines, also participated in a panel, discussing the critical role of biofuels in accelerating the energy transition together with moderator Kevin Lindemer, Gunvor’s Luke Mannington, Raizen’s Ricardo Mussa and Petronas’s Sazali Hamzah.